Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Why I'm a Better College Student Now (as a Parent) Than I Was as a Teen

Getting a college degree can help you provide a better future for your family. Even an associate degree, which can be earned in about two years at your local community college, can boost your earning potential by tens of thousands of dollars a year.


I first attended college as a teenager fresh out of high school, but my dreams of getting a degree quickly went south. I wasn't a great student. I made a lot of mistakes. After only two semesters, I dropped out of community college and landed a series of minimum-wage jobs.

15 years later, I started college all over again. This time around, I am focused and disciplined. I don't stress out about exams or assignment deadlines, and I know exactly what I want to be when I grow up.

Last year I graduated near the top of my class with an associate degree and I'm now on track for earning my bachelor's and master's degrees at a respected university, thanks in part to skills I developed as a parent. Here are a few things I learned:

Routine is important, in both parenting and being a college student.

There's not a lot of difference between packing a diaper bag and packing a book bag for college. As a parent, I know every time I leave the house I need certain specific items, so I go through a mental checklist before departing. The same is true as a college student. I need to make sure I have the proper books, notepads, binders, assignments and writing instruments for my day at college.

photo: josuab / Flickr (cc)
Almost ready for class. Just add 40 lbs. of required textbooks.

On school days my children have a predictable routine that allows them to know when to eat breakfast and get ready for school, so that they are on-time every morning without any unnecessary stress. My children know when their homework is expected to be done and when they need to get ready for bed.

I've found it's equally important to create a routine for my own studies. When I was younger, I hated having to do things at certain times. Now I see how having a schedule helps my family do what's necessary before we try to relax or entertain ourselves. If I waited until I was full of motivation to do something, little would get done around my house and I would probably be failing my classes.

Dad Tip: I use Google Keep to maintain my ongoing to-do list for family responsibilities and school assignments. It syncs my notes between my smartphone (using the Google Keep app) and any computer I'm using at home or school. 

Source: Google / YouTube

Being a parent forces you to become more responsible.

I am responsible for making sure my kids get to school on time, fed nutritious meals, and that all their basic physiological and emotional needs are met each and every day. It's a lot of responsibility to be a parent, and accepting these responsibilities has turned me into a more responsible person.

Part of becoming a responsible person was learning to defeat procrastination. Unnecessary stress can be easily avoided by doing assignments days before they're due, instead of waiting for the night before like I used to do. Now I prioritize my responsibilities and take pleasure in completing them.

Source: AsapSciene / YouTube

Understanding procrastination can help you beat it.

Just like for my kids, there are times when I don’t want to do my homework either, but I'll still push through and get it done. Getting started on assignments can be the hardest part. Once I get started, often times I'm done before I know it.

Being a parent has increased my patience, discipline and taught me how to manage my stress.

It's easy to tell that I have more patience and discipline today than I used to. I've become accustomed to switching my attention back and forth between subjects and tasks while parenting my children. This proved helpful when I had to balance my responsibilities as a parent with my responsibilities as a student. I've learned not to wallow in pity or stress and to make the most of my time.

As a teen, I frequently made excuses for my lackluster efforts. Now, I'm done with excuses. If something is important to me I'll do what it takes to make it happen. I balanced college and parenthood by attending classes while kids are at school and taking online classes that let me continue my studies at home and on the weekends.

photo: Campus Grotto / Flickr (cc)
Actual university.

When a class lecture is boring, I am just thankful I'm not sitting around at home or watching my child's favorite animated movie for the 27th time. After busy day with kids, settling in to reading a textbook chapter or two can be a welcome change of pace. I have a stronger desire to learn and better myself.

Being a parent has enhanced my ability to plan for long term goals.

When I was going to college at age 17, I had no idea what I really wanted for my future. I bounced around from major to major before eventually dropped out of college altogether, more interested in entrepreneurship than any type of education.

My life goals are more focused now. I decided on majoring in education because as a teacher, my schedule will line up more favorably with my kids' schedule. Teachers don't make a lot of money, but a big part of why I am going back to college is for my kids, and remembering that helps keep things in perspective.

Parents can set a great example for their children.

Going to college sets a great example for your kids. It opens the door to conversations with your children about planning for the future and gets them thinking about their life and career. The value they see you place on your own education can encourage them to be better students too.

photo: Nazareth College / Flickr (cc)
Dads make great grads!

There are scholarships and grants available to parents and single parents.

Grants and scholarships are not just available to students right out of high school; there is money available for people of all ages and experiences. There are even funds designated specifically for parents who are going back to college. You can go to fafsa.gov to see if you qualify for federal student aid that can help you get started.

Another place to begin is the college or university you are interested in attending. Contact their financial aid department to see what options are available to you. You may even find that your local college offers other campus resources to parents, such as child care.

It's never too late to get started

There were many times in my life that I thought about going back to college but talked myself out of it for one reason or another. I didn't have enough time, not enough money, or thinking I was just too old to be going back to school. It turns out, being a parent made me a more capable person than I realized and I'm glad I made the choice to return to college.

If you're considering furthering your formal education, I hope you found this post helpful and encouraging. For more advice on the topic, check out Natalie's post on How to Handle Going Back to School With Kids over on her WorkingMothers blog.

Be sure to bookmark my blog or subscribe using the links provided. Next week I'll be talking about stress-free parenting tips to keep your cool when things go wrong. Until then, happy fathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment